Many people spend a lot of time driving, whether it be a long commute to work every day, or your always getting stuck in traffic, or simply running errands. For those of you that love to have your diffuser running in your home throughout the day, you can also experience aromatherapy while driving, with an essential oil diffuser for the car. Diffusing oils in the car, helps with unwanted odours, purifies the air, kills bacteria, and enhances your overall drive. Also, an essential oil car diffuser is great if your are feeling tense or fatigued and need something to keep you alert during the ride. What could be better than a natural car freshener?
Types of Car Diffusers – Which one to choose?
There are a number of different car diffusers, out there. Some use wireless, some use USB, and some just simply clip onto the car’s vents. The ones that you can use in your home, office or car, are the most versatile. Here are a few car diffusers that are good quality for reasonable prices.
The InnoGear is a USB essential oil diffuser for the car, that changes color. It gives moisture and maintains a fresh, odourless atmosphere in your car. It is portable, so can be taken anywhere (including at home/office) and fits perfectly in any vehicle cupholder.
- 100% BPA free
- Capacity of water tank is 50ml
- The diffuser has two mist modes which last 3 – 6 hours depending on the mode (constant or 30 seconds intermitted).
- It has 7 color changing LED lights, or you can have the light shut off.
- Intelligent auto off – the diffuser shuts off, when water gets too low.
- Comes with a USB cable, although does NOT come with the adapter.
This travel friendly diffuser’s ultrasonic technology transforms the interior of your car, or even your kitchen, living room or reading area, creates a soothing environment . It fits nicely in any vehicle cupholder and its unique design prevents tipping while your car is in motion.TheLiteMist aromatherapy silently mists the essential oils into the given space.
- BPA free, made with health friendly materials
- Water tank capacity is 60ml
- Runs 2-4 hours or 5 hours in intermittent
- 4 hours automatic shut off
- Includes car adapter with charger, and home adapter
This stylish diffuser is great for in the car, office, bedroom, hotel, or travel. It is a step above the traditional one-piece design, in which it creatively separates the engine from the tank. It contains a hidden air inlet, its easy to clean, and handy to use in the car.
- Made with health friendly marterials, corrosion resistant
- Water tank capacity is 110ml
- Runs 3 hours in red light mode, 7 hours in blue light mode
- Auto shut-off feature with water shortage
- No power adapter needed – includes USB power cord
This sleek diffuser is a battery operated (wireless) nebulizer – which requires no water – you don’t have to worry about any spillage in the car. Its great atomizing performance requires very little essential oil to quickly saturate the air. Its perfect for any space including your car. The batteries in the diffuser are rechargeable, so you can literally take it anywhere.
- Rechargable battery allows for up to 10 hours of use
- 2 hour safety shut off feature – will automatically shut off after 2 hours of use
- No water and no heat
- USB charging chord
If you are looking for something smaller, this compact diffuser has a 2 in 1 design that plugs right into the car jack and has two USB charging ports with it. Its gooseneck telescopic arm can be adjusted to just about any angle. It uses a cylindrical filter sponge on the inside that will need to be replaced every so often.
- Capacity is a 50ml water tank
- Safety shut off feature after 2 hours of use
- USB charger
- Extra filter sponge
This locket style essential oil car clip is super simple and ads a nice touch to your vehicle. It comes with cotton refill pads that you ad your oils to. Once the desired scented pad is placed inside the “locket”, it simply attaches onto one of your car vents. As the air from your vent is blowing, it releases the aromas from the diffuser.
- Main material is stainless steel
- Each car clip comes with 12 varying color cotton refill pads
- Varying design styles to choose from
How to Choose Your Blends For Driving
When choosing your essential oils/blends (or single oils) to use in your car diffuser, you want to make sure you avoid certain oils that might make you feel too relaxed or sleepy such as lavender, roman chamomile, cedarwood, vetiver, and other relaxing oils.. When driving, you want to be calm and stress-free, but also alert and focused. This is especially important for long commutes, where you might start to get tired. Personally for me, inhaling straight peppermint oil (along with some direct application) was a lifesaver, when I had to drive a thirteen hour trip, on barely any sleep! (caffeine will only do so much)..
Also, when diffusing oils in the car, keep in mind that it is in a small space, so it is recommended to keep your window open just a touch, to avoid over saturation of the oil’s molecules, since essential oils are so powerful. Also one should not diffuse more than an hour or so at a time (especially if windows are closed), so as not to acquire possible symptoms of nausea or headache due to the concentration.
Blend Ideas for the Road
Uplifting Blend for Morning Drive
- Grapefruit essential oil
- Sweet orange or tangerine essential oil
- Ylang-Ylang essential oil
De-Stress Blend for Driving
- Lemon essential oil
- Rose essential oil
- Bergamot essential oil
- Frankincense essential oil
Energize/Staying Alert Blend for Long Drives
- Peppermint essential oil
- Rosmary essential oil
- Lemon or grapefruit essential oil
Motion Sickness Blend
- Peppermint essential oil
- Ginger essential oil
Whether your tense behind the wheel, or need something to keep you awake, or you just want to freshen up your vehicle (without having an artificial smelling air freshener), car essential oil diffusers might be the thing for you. Its nice to be able to have a more enjoyable and uplifting commute to wherever you are driving.
If you have any questions, or would like to share your own personal review on any of these items, feel free to leave your comments below.