We all know that time of day, when you’re trying to find something to occupy your kid/s so they can give you a moment’s peace, or when they are bored and need something interesting and fun to do. What better way is there, than to spend some time playing with playdough! Not only that, but playdough scented with essential oils! Kids love playdough and it is a great sensory activity – having to do with the sense of touch – as well as smell, if you add the essential oils. Not only will your child have fun molding and creating shapes, the aroma can be soothing and calming, therefore having a therapeutic effect while they play.
Now you could go to the store and buy the play-Doh that everyone knows (and I looove the smell of the store-bought play-Doh) but why spend money when you can make you own therapeutic playdough at home, from ingredients that you already most likely have in your kitchen? By making it yourself, you know exactly what you are putting into it, without having to worry about any chemicals or preservatives, plus you can make it smell even better by adding essential oils.
Recipe For Playdough – Lets Make It!
Here is a recipe/instructions on how to make your own scented playdough, with essential oils. Its quite simple and easy to make, and comes out nice and soft. And the kids will have some fun helping out.
You will need:
1 cup flour
1 cup water
1/4 cup salt
2 tsp cream of tarter
1 Tbs vegetable oil
Food coloring (Gel food coloring is best, for more vibrate colors)
Your choice of essential oils
Wax paper and gloves (optional)
Sauce pan and wooden spoon
I recommended that you place down wax paper or plastic wrap and wear gloves for the kneading, to prevent extra mess or staining, but this is totally optional.
Note: If you want to make a larger amount, I recommend doing it in separate batches so its easier to mix the ingredients as it thickens.
- Mix all the ingredients (except food coloring) into a medium sauce pan, stirring well.
- Once the mixture is clump-free, heat over low/medium heat and keep stirring
- After a few minutes, the mixture will start to thicken and clump up
- Keep stirring until one large clump is formed, then remove from heat and place on wax paper or plate to cool
- Once cooled, knead the play dough by hand for a few seconds
- To make separate colors, separate the dough into even parts and roll into balls
- Make a well in the middle of the dough balls to form a little bowl.
- Drop 5 to 10 drops of food coloring in each well, then knead the dough to spread the color
- Make a well in each dough ball again and add 6 – 10 drops of your choice of essential oils with each color, then knead the dough again. You can always add more drops of food coloring if the color is not dark enough or more essential oils if you want a stronger scent.
- Store play dough in a zip lock or air-tight container
This stuff lasts 9+ months if stored properly. It stays even better/more fresh if you keep it in the fridge, which is what I like to do.
Now that you have a recipe to make your own playdough that has therapeutic benefits, you can have some fun creating different colors, and scents, and getting the kids busy! Why buy store-bought, when you can be more creative, and make something at home that is safe, fun, and non-toxic for your kids to play with.
If you have any questions or comments please leave them below!